Thursday, May 3, 2012

Here Comes The Sun

May is here and with it, the sun! Well, sort of.  Today was blustery, raining off and on (which means free water!) and two days ago we had a light frost.  And tomorrow night will be colder than that last frost.  But, last week, the temperature was in the mid-70s for a few days, bringing everything to life and shooting upward, including the spinach and pea seeds that had laid dormant for several weeks.  The leaves and blossoms came out on all the trees and the grass grew wild (I already have to cut it again!).  The sun brought out people, too, walking and jogging and working in their yards.  The sounds of lawnmowers and weed whackers could be heard, but so could the songs of all the lovely birds darting to and fro. 

I don't know that I have ever appreciated springtime more than I do this year.  With spring comes the opportunity to really dig in and put into motion this homesteading experiment.  Too cold to plant outside, Carrie (my partner) and I were growing seedlings of all kinds in recyclable containers on a plant shelf in our laundry room.  As the weather has improved, we've been testing what we can get away with in order to extend our growing season; for instance, we moved the cold frame from the lettuce since they are now established and cold-hardy and put in some tomatoes.  And now, we are ready to move many more of the seedlings and starts into beds in the garden, including a dozen more tomatoes!  We still have LOTS of work to do (my head starts spinning just thinking about it) but we are already enjoying fresh lettuce from our kitchen garden. 

I have so much more to write and tell about, but this short post will have to do for now.  I hope that you, dear reader, are as happy as I am to see the miracle of life unfolding before us, all courtesy of the sun!     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment